Sorry to have kept you waiting with part two of my Germany trip for so long, but it has been somewhat hectic lately. If you missed it, here is part I of my trip. At the end of which I hinted at more little hiccups. Well, nothing major really, but I still keep wondering: How can it be that someone books a flight, pays it, checks in for it, even checks his baggage at the airport and then… is a no-show??! I do not understand. All the trouble is over and then – flight missed. Hm, come to think of it, maybe it was someone like that guy I mentioned in part I, who got there a little late? I don’t know. But fact is that we had to wait for another half an hour at the gate, because the poor guys from ground crew had to find and unload the checked suitcases of the no-shows. Wonderful!

But despite our delayed start we got to Frankfurt on time. Blame it yet again on the jet stream. Which also made for a somewhat bumpy flight. But otherwise it was o.k. and Monday morning I arrived into Frankfurt, got my suitcase and still had time to relax in the DB lounge of the German rail service. I checked in on my email, sent a text to my hubby, had something to drink and then mosied to the platform. Boarded the train and three and a half hours later arrived into Bielefeld on time, where my sister already waited for me. We were just in time for coffee and cake at my mom’s place. What a surprise for her. Nobody had told here that I was coming for her 80s birthday – very nice! And in the evening the whole family assembled at a local restaurant to celebrate her birthday.

On Tuesday we, the daughters, took our mom out on a boat cruise on the river Weser. As kids we used to go there nearly every weekend, so it was a little trip down memory lane for us. But the river cruise was something new. And we had lots of time to spend and talk with our mom. Which was the whole point of the trip. The trip also included going through a sluice to get onto a canal. Quite a weird feeling being on a ship, on water, but about 10 meters above ground. The weather was far from perfect, but it cooperated, since whenever we were outside it was dry and it only rained when we were inside. Three hours later our trip was over and we finished off the day with dinner at my sister’s place.


After having had breakfast together on Wednesday morning, my niece dropped me off at the train station in Bielefeld, where I boarded an InterCity train, which took me to the southern end of Germany – Waldshut, my next stop on this Germany trip, coming up on my blog soon.

And this is my Mama one day after her 80s birthday 🙂

Margot FleischerMargot FleischerMargot FleischerMargot FleischerMargot FleischerMargot Fleischer

Why not get every new post by me into your inbox without delay? You can by subscribing (click) here. Or you can follow me on facebook, google+ and twitter if you prefer.

self portrait, Claudia Willison, ImagesByCW

Claudia is founder, owner and soul of ImagesByCW Photography. Born in Germany, traveled though Europe and Australia, she currently lives with her American husband in New Jersey, USA. She blogs about what she loves: Photography, art, internet and computers in general, as well as cooking and windsurfing. When not working she enjoys reading, music, windsurfing and listening to the sound of waves and the wind, preferably together with her husband.

Did you like what you just read?

Then maybe it is time to subscribe to my news

Join my mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from me.

Daily or weekly into your inbox - your choice!

Just one more step. I just sent you an email (be sure to check your spam), please click confirm to be part of my online tribe :)

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This